Monday, January 7, 2013

Cracking down

Finally really cracking down on organizing the house and getting rid of excess and clutter. I have a really pretty set of crystal-ware that Philip got from a house he was cleaning out for a former landlord (it was headed to the dump when he "saved" it!). I also got a set of real silver silverware from that same place. THAT I'm keeping. The crystal? So far, it's been unboxed, washed, and collected dust. We're just not a crystal sort of family. We're more mason-jar and plastic cups. I've had delusions of us becoming a more fancy-pants sort of household, but I've finally accepted that my tastes, and his, are more earthy and tuned for stuff that can be used daily. If someone wants to judge us for lacking fine china and such, then we don't need those people in our lives. I don't foresee either of us ever holding fancy dinner parties for work colleagues, etc either.
  So I'm starting my "crusade" on a double-front. One front is clothing/laundry. Getting all laundry caught up, sorting out unused and outgrown clothing, and organizing dressers and closets. The kids' room is done, and I'm working with the kids to make sure they are putting their clothes away correctly and keeping them neat. Jeans are hanging (Need to get more hangars!), shorts, t-shirts, and everything else in the dresser is being rolled military-style. Rolling is neat and conserves space. I'm not gonna go all "boot-camp" mom on my kids, but before I hit their room, they had clothes ALL OVER their room... in the toybox, under the bed, stuffed in drawers. Now, everything in the room fits them, fits in a set spot, and is neatly put away. I put everything away the first time, making them both watch. The second time clothes needed put away, I watched them each put their clothes away. This last time, I let them put them away all on their own. They SEEM excited to put them away all neat and tidy, but I don't see that lasting long. I'll have to keep double-checking for awhile, I'm sure.
  The second "front" I'm hitting is the kitchen/dining area. In all honesty, that room is fairly hopeless in being "done" until we put in new cabinets, flooring, etc. What I'm doing for now is sorting out stuff we don't use, or have an excess of. Quesadilla-maker? Keep! We actually do use it, and love it. Second set of pots? Gone. We do use them, but that ends up meaning we have a HUGE pile of dishes to wash. Time to cut back I have 2 sets of mixing bowls: glass, and plastic. The plastic will probably get moved to the "craft" stuff or sold. Haven't decided yet.
  I've been finding a lot of stuff that I just don't know why I've been carting it around. Time to get rid of it! I know we have at least one more major move in our future. Regardless of whether that lands us in Texas or Nevada, I refuse to need a 26' Uhaul ever again!

No comments:

Post a Comment